Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What to do when Mental Illness Kicks your Ass

Well, apparently, the answer to this is to get teary in an unsuspecting feminist professor's office.

I'm not sure if its the moodiness of weight-loss, the ebbs and flows of my ssri's (the "prozac poopout") or the stress of the past year where, encountering several PhD benchmarks (exams, prospectus, IRB approval), I'm left with news that my advisor is leaving--my second one to leave in a 15 month period. Likely, it's a combination of all of this.

And I have to say, this isn't a blog so much as just a note. To let you know I'm out here and struggling to stay optimistic about this process of finding balance. Trying to focus on little successes (delicious mint pea soup made, weekly groceries bought within budget, students' thoughtful writing assignment on connections between racism and homophobia half-graded) and trying to remember that support can come in the simplest of phrases.

"I, for one, am glad you're here."

1 comment:

  1. praying for strength for you. We are glad that you are here.

    ReplyDelete